County Commissioner Nan Rich’s office did a little digging over our request to authorize the Sun Sentinel to broadcast emergency bond court and pleas, and responded as follows:
Stay tuned? …
The BSO Public Information Office is currently working a developing incident regarding a positive COVID-19 inmates located at: N/A.
Public Information Officer Veda Coleman-Wright is currently gathering the details. Here’s what we know so far:
An inmate who was housed at the Broward Sheriff’s Office North Broward Bureau has tested positive for COVID-19.
The inmate’s identity and arrest details are being withheld in order to protect his right to medical privacy. When the inmate was arrested in March, he was medically screened during booking and showed no signs of COVID-19.
On March 31, during a routine screening, the inmate refused a medical test (not related to COVID-19) recommended by healthcare staff. As a result, he was transported to the hospital for evaluation and treatment. At the hospital, he was tested for COVID-19 and confirmed positive on April 1.
After being notified of the inmate’s status, the housing units where he has been were placed in quarantine as a precaution. Medical staff will continue to monitor the inmates for any signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
The Department of Health (DOH) has been notified. Staff who were in contact with the inmate have been notified and are being advised to self-isolate, self-monitor and contact the DOH for further instructions. The arresting officer who works at a police department in Broward County has been notified as well.
As of this writing, the Department of Detention has been notified a second inmate tested positive April 2. Details from today’s positive case will be released when available.
Arrangements are being made to decontaminate affected areas.
This information should be considered preliminary, and as with any developing situation, the details may change.
2:47 PM CONFIRMED – TWO POSITIVES IN JAILS
UPDATE UPDATE 2:39 PM – A BSO Press Release is coming soon …
UPDATE – we’re told only Main is operational for video bond court at this time …
2:07 PM – Information is sketchy, but after days of rumors we’re told judges and others are being informed there are positives in the jail and that shutdowns are imminent.
THIS IS STILL UNCONFIRMED.
In the meantime, the broadcast of court is down, so there is no live update available …
The law says these hearings are open to the public and they must be, and I know if the public can see what our judges, prosecutors and public defenders are doing in this unprecedented crisis they would be proud of their justice system.
Howard Finkelstein, on the need to broadcast emergency bond court and plea hearings to the public.
Thanks to Anonymous at 8:22 AM, who posted the following this morning:
We checked around, and it’s apparently true. Yesterday’s welcome transmission of afternoon bond court and pleas was done in error. Jack Tuter, or whoever else may be authorized to give the good folks at the Sentinel the green light to keep afternoon court in the sunshine, has still not done so.
We will be approaching the County Commissioners next, seeing as how Tuter or Court Administration has blocked email communications with JAABLOG. In any event, thank you to the Sun Sentinel for yesterday, and for proving the afternoon broadcast is as easy as flipping a switch, and leaving it on …